William Ryan Spiker, MD
Dr. Spiker treats conditions of the neck and back such as disk herniations, spinal stenosis, cervical myelopathy and deformities of the spine. He believes in the thoughtful use of new technologies, including minimally invasive surgery and image-guided techniques. As an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Utah, he enjoys the benefits of working closely with non operative spine specialists and physical therapists to provide comprehensive care to his patients.
Dr. Spiker’s research interests include the treatment of cervical spine disorders, spine imaging techniques and the genetics of common spinal conditions. He has authored many peer-reviewed publications and book chapters on these and other related topics.
Dr. Spiker studied Biochemistry and History and The University of California at Santa Barbara and earned his medical degree from the University of Southern California. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Utah and a dual Orthopaedic Spine and Neurosurgical Spine Fellowship at the Rothman Institute at Jefferson Medical Center in Philadelphia, PA.
You can visit his personal website at www.williamryanspikermd.com
- Postdoctoral Training
Rothman Institute at Jefferson University
Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Spine Surgery
University of Utah
- Professional Medical
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine
University of California at Santa Barbara
Biochemistry and History
Orthopaedics - Assistant Professor
Neurosurgery - Adjunct Assistant Professor
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Spinal Deformity Surgery
- Spine Trauma
- Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Degenerative Spine Surgery
- Chavez JL, Porucznik CA, Gren LH, Guan J, Joyce E, Brodke DS, Dailey AT, Mahan MA, Hood RS, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Spina NT, Bisson EF (2020). The impact of preoperative mindfulness-based stress reduction on postoperative outcomes in lumbar spine degenerative disease: 3- and 12-month results of a pilot study. (Epub ahead of print) World Neurosurg.
- Tobert DG, Davis BJ, Annis P, Spiker WR, Lawrence BD, Brodke DS, Spina N (2020). The Impact of the Lordosis Distribution Index on Failure after Surgical Treatment of Adult Spinal Deformity. (Epub ahead of print) Spine J.
- Goz V, Martin BI, Donnally CJ 3rd, Brodke D, Spina N, Lawrence B, Spiker WR (2020). Potential Selection Bias in Observational Studies Comparing Cervical Disc Arthroplasty to Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. (Epub ahead of print) Spine.
- Mordhorst TR, McCormick ZL, Presson AP, Collier WH, Spiker WR (2019). Examining the relationship between epidural steroid injections and patient satisfaction. Spine J, 20(2), 207-212.
- Spina N, Schoutens C, Martin BI, Brodke DS, Lawrence B, Spiker WR (2020). Defining Instability in Degenerative Spondylolisthesis: Surgeon Views. Clin Spine Surg, 32(10), E434-E439.
- Goz V, Spiker WR, Brodke D (2019). Mobile messaging and smartphone apps for patient communication and engagement in spine surgery. Ann Transl Med, 7(Suppl 5), S163.
- Goz V, Spiker WR, Lawrence B, Brodke D, Spina N (2019). Odontoid Fractures: A Critical Analysis Review. JBJS Rev, 7(8), e1.
- Hung M, Saltzman CL, Voss MW, Bounsanga J, Kendall R, Spiker R, Lawrence B, Brodke D (2018). Responsiveness of the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS), Neck Disability Index (NDI) and Oswestry Disability Index (ODI) instruments in patients with spinal disorders. Spine J, 19(1), 34-40.
- Hung M, Saltzman CL, Kendall R, Bounsanga J, Voss MW, Lawrence B, Spiker R, Brodke D (2018). What Are the MCIDs for PROMIS, NDI, and ODI Instruments Among Patients With Spinal Conditions? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 476(10), 2027-2036.
- Kendall R, Wagner B, Brodke D, Bounsanga J, Voss M, Gu Y, Spiker R, Lawrence B, Hung M (2017). The Relationship of PROMIS Pain Interference and Physical Function Scales. Pain Med, 19(9), 1720-1724.
- Lakomkin N, Goz V, Cheng JS, Brodke DS, Spiker WR (2017). The utility of preoperative laboratories in predicting postoperative complications following posterolateral lumbar fusion. Spine J, 18(6), 993-997.
- Abtahi AM, Lyman KS, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD, Zhang C, Spiker WR (2017). Patient Satisfaction is Not Associated With Self-reported Disability in a Spine Patient Population. Clin Spine Surg, 30(8), E1165-E1168.
- Brodke DS, Goz V, Voss MW, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Hung M (2017). PROMIS PF CAT Outperforms the ODI and SF-36 Physical Function Domain in Spine Patients. Spine, 42(12), 921-929.
- Colman M, Pond J, Bachus K, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Brodke DS (2017). Fenestrated Screws Augmented With PMMA Increase the Pullout Strength of Sacral Pedicle Screws. Clin Spine Surg, 30(3), E252-E256.
- Brodke DS, Goz V, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Neese A, Hung M (2017). Oswestry Disability Index: a psychometric analysis with 1,610 patients. Spine J, 17(3), 321-327.
- Hu Y, Yuan ZS, Spiker WR, Dong WX, Sun XY, Yuan JB, Zhang J, Zhu B (2016). A comparative study on the accuracy of pedicle screw placement assisted by personalized rapid prototyping template between pre- and post-operation in patients with relatively normal mid-upper thoracic spine. Eur Spine J, 25(6), 1706-15.
- Colman MW, Guss A, Bachus KN, Spiker WR, Lawrence BD, Brodke DS (2016). Fixed-Angle, Posteriorly Connected Anterior Cage Reconstruction Improves Stiffness and Decreases Cancellous Subsidence in a Spondylectomy Model. Spine, 41(9), E519-23.
- Elliott IS, Spiker WR, Caputo AM, Darden BV (2015). Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion Versus Cervical Disk Arthroplasty. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques, 28(9), 309-12.
- Gaffney C, Spiker WR (2015). Painless weakness from lumbar disc herniation: Recommended management and outcomes. (ahead of print). Seminars in Spine Surgery.
- Goz V, Rane A, Abtahi AM, Lawrence BD, Brodke DS, Spiker WR (2015). Geographic variations in the cost of spine surgery. Spine, 40(17), 1380-9.
- Annis P, Brodke DS, Spiker WR, Daubs MD, Lawrence BD (2015). The Fate of L5-S1 With Low-Dose BMP-2 and Pelvic Fixation, With or Without Interbody Fusion, in Adult Deformity Surgery. Spine, 40(11), E634-9.
- Abtahi AM, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD, Zhang C, Spiker WR (2015). Association between patient-reported measures of psychological distress and patient satisfaction scores after spine surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 97(10), 824-8.
- Hu Y, Dong WX, Spiker WR, Yuan ZS, Sun XY, Zhang J, Xie H, Albert TJ (2015). An anatomic study to determine the optimal entry point, medial angles, and effective length for safe fixation using posterior C1 lateral mass screws. Spine, 40(4), E191-8.
- Hung M, Stuart A, Cheng C, Hon SD, Spiker R, Lawrence B, Neese A, Brodke DS (2015). Predicting the DRAM mZDI using the PROMIS anxiety and depression. Spine, 40(3), 179-83.
- Lawrence BD, Patel AA, Guss A, Ryan Spiker W, Brodke DS (2014). Malaligned dynamic anterior cervical plate: a biomechanical analysis of effectiveness. Spine, 39(25), 2057-61.
- Annis P, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Zhang Y, Chen W, Daubs MD, Brodke DS (2014). Predictive factors for acute proximal junctional failure after adult deformity surgery with upper instrumented vertebrae in the thoracolumbar spine. Evid Based Spine Care J, 5(2), 160-2.
- Hu Y, Yuan ZS, Spiker WR, Albert TJ, Dong WX, Xie H, Yuan JB, Wang CT (2013). Deviation analysis of C2 translaminar screw placement assisted by a novel rapid prototyping drill template: a cadaveric study. Eur Spine J, 22(12), 2770-6.
- Spiker WR, Lawrence BD, Raich AL, Skelly AC, Brodke DS (2012). Surgical versus injection treatment for injection-confirmed chronic sacroiliac joint pain. Evid Based Spine Care J, 3(4), 41-53.
- Patel AA, Spiker WR, Daubs M, Brodke DS, Cannon-Albright LA (2012). Evidence of an inherited predisposition for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Spine, 37(1), 26-9.
- Patel AA, Spiker WR, Daubs MD, Brodke DS, Cheng I, Glasgow RE (2008). Retroperitoneal lymphocele after anterior spinal surgery. Spine, 33(18), E648-52.
- Spiker WR (2016). Techniques for Minimizing Radiation Exposure during Fluorscopy Procedures. In Vaccaro AR, Albert TJ (Eds.), Spine Surgery: Tricks of the Trade (3rd, Chapter 76, pp. 288-91). New York: Thieme.
- Spiker WR (2016). Wound VAC Management for Spinal and Bone Graft Wound Infections. In Vaccaro AR, Albert TJ (Eds.), Spine Surgery: Tricks of the Trade (3rd, Chapter 112, pp. 419-21). New York: Thieme.
- Goz V, Spiker WR (2015). Lumbar Stenosis and Spondylolisthesis. In Orthopaedic Surgery Essentials, Spine.
- Goz V, Spiker WR (2015). Management of Spinal Data. In Benzel (Ed.), Spine Surgery (4th).